Friday, September 16, 2016

What A Hullabaloo

I woke Wednesday, the day before the Steep Canyon 50K, feeling like I had been kicked by a horse. My head congested, eyes swollen and itchy, achy all over. As I contemplated my current state, running 50K the next day seemed impossible. I made it through the day after implementing every conceivable over the counter tactic I could to thwart my condition: Dayquil, Nasal spray, Nettie pot flushing, 1/2 box of Kleenex and copious amounts of water to name a few. That night, I went directly to bed thinking nothing of what race day would bring.
Thursday, race day I woke feeling just a little better than I had Wednesday. I groggily pulled myself upright, swung my legs over the side of the bed and sat. "It was going to be a long day." Nothing was typical about this event. That was certainly by design of race directors Peter and Charles. First, the race was on a Thursday, who has a race on a Thursday? Second, start time was 1000, that, just odd. The Steep Canyon 50k was the kick off to a weekend packed with run, fun, music and beer to raise money for Oskar Blues CAN'D AID FOUNDATION who's "do-goodery" is dedicated to diggin' in and makin' a difference where you can in your community, pretty cool.
Peter and Charles at the start
The events which are the 50K and relay options unfold simultaneously on a 11ish mile loop of predominately single track trail starting at Osker Blues Reeb Ranch barn and climbing a fantastic route layed out up into Dupont Forest gaining some 16oo' before it returns to the ranch and subsequent loops.
Plenty of post race banter was focused on the inaccuracies of the distance and elevation statics, there always is. I don't really care and I suspect the race directors don't either, it is all about being out on the trail after all, right?
Step by step details of my day would certainly deter you from continuing from here so I will spare you that. As you are already aware of how I was feeling at the start, I chose to abandon all previous goals in lieu of simply participating. If I had told myself that it would be OK to quit because of how I was feeling, I probably wouldn't have started.
My approach was simple: go as far as you can and enjoy yourself. I surprised even myself the first lap finishing it in 2:24 (40 minutes faster than the day I had epiced the loop in the pre-run, see previous post). The second loop was a bit of a slog in 2:40. I was ecstatic but exhausted and everything about the day seemed to begin to weigh on me as I began my third and final loop. I was tired and I am sure every bit of sickness had been forced out of my body. The 90 degree heat of the day had reminded me of being in a sweat lodge and I was beginning to feel the affects of it. At this point, I decided I would finish and I did. However, loop 3 completion took me almost as long as the first 2 combined. In any given event, this outcome would have been unacceptable. However, I finished with two unbelievable ladies and such a HULLABALOO was made of our "Lantern Rouge" finish that my finishing time just didn't matter. (Lantern Rouge is the term used for the last place finisher in the Tour de France)
What a Fantastic event! Kudos to Peter and Charles for putting it all together. The course was beautiful. The music and over all event vibe was second to none. The venue was just idyllic, the cause admirable. What more could you ask for in a race? Thanks guys!!
Me at the finish

*I do want to give credit to event photographer Tobias Albrigtsen. Typically event photographers seem less than thrilled with their roll. Being out there all day snapping shots of typically nonplussed runners would be loathsome. Previous event pictures and those of others rarely seem to be worth the finger click that produced them. I said as much, jokingly of course, to Tobias while on the trail and he responded "I know how to take pictures, mine are different." Man he was right! Great Job Tobias!

1 comment:

  1. Glad you slugged it out. I enjoyed finishing my with you. nicole

    ReplyDelete