Monday, December 27, 2010

Santa Drives a Bentley

 I set out in the dark Christmas morning to get a run in before all the festivities began. Everyone was still tucked snugly in there beds, the kids snoring away unaware Santa had come and gone in the night. Stockings recently stuffed hung precariously from the mantel, gifts under the tree seemed to have multiplied, I was surprised the kids weren't up, I am pretty sure I would have been at there age.

 It was easier getting out of the house with everyone asleep, I quietly snuck out into the cold. I glanced up at the thermometer as I left the porch it read 13 degrees, my nose hair froze. The smell of wood smoke hung thick in the air, it reminded me of winter and being in Vermont skiing; it was comforting. My foot steps on the pavement and the periodic sound of furnaces venting along my route was the only sound. I hadn't seen a single car or distant head light and didn't expect to. It was a perfectly peaceful Christmas morning run.

 The cold had gotten me moving and had helped me keep a quick pace throughout my run. I had gone farther than I intended and the first rays of light were just peaking over the horizon, I doubt anyone was up yet. I decided to do a loop through the cemetery before heading home. I enjoyed running in the cemetery, I found it peaceful.

 There were no cars in either direction as I ran through the cemetery gate and turned onto Main Street towards home. I wondered if I would make it home with out seeing a single moving vehicle? Just then I heard what sounded like a bicycle coming up behind me, it was following me.
"What the heck, just pass me already!" Annoyed now that I was being stalked I stopped and turned to confront whoever it was following me.

 Surprisingly; It was Santa Claus and he was driving a Bentley. Not just a Bentley however, it was at least 20 feet long, the brightest chrome and the red'ist red you have ever seen. He was smiling with the jolly smile described in books and on Christmas specials. He rolled down the window as he brought the Bentley to a stop right next to me.

 Somehow I was able to get out a witty "Your running a little late aren't you Santa?"
He laughed and responded while keeping his jolly smile; that he had had sleigh trouble due to the weather (no snow) and asked, "Could you point me towards Sugar Loaf?" "I always have trouble navigating from the ground."
 I gave Santa the directions he requested, he thanked me with the most cheerful "Merry Christmas!" I had ever heard. As he pulled away I notice the license plate, it read (North Pole ~ Sleigh 2) then he was gone.

 A stiff wind blew right through me, I was standing on the edge of Maine Street. Had I just seen the Santa Claus?  I shook my head out of its fog and ran home. No one will believe me.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment