Saturday, January 8, 2011

It's a new year, what do I do now?

 In 2010 I ran a handful of 5k's, a couple of 1/2 marathons and my first marathon. My daughter and I ran in her first 5k on Turkey Day, what a joy. I registered for an early December 7 miler but when race day arrived the whole family was stuck in bed with the flu, on less t-shirt didn't hurt.

 Since the October marathon it has been a challenge for me to maintain my 4 day a week run schedule even with reduce millage. As it started getting darker earlier and morning run temps dipped below 30 degrees I began abusing the snooze button regularly. Rainy days where out of the question. I had to almost force myself through droll 5 miles on the treadmill. When I did get outside I ran with less vigor and purpose. My head was cloudy, lacking direction.

 My first run of 2011 was actually in 40 degree, foggy, misty, dreary weather. I left in the dark and returned in the dark after running for an hour with out seeing a sole; perfect. This run reminded me how much I enjoy running, setting a goal, developing a training plan and reaching that goal. I need to find another race! I felt better already!

 The world wide web reviled a multitude of race opportunities: New England, south of the Mason Dixon Line, along the shores of the Great Lakes, high in the Rockies and Big Sur which a friend of mine has decided to tackle. Big races advertised in Runners World types, local running club and heard through the grape vine races and some sort of mudder thing. A perverbial stew of running events, no hurry.

 I have not found my next event but I will. In preperation I will work diligently to maintain my weight below 200lbs, I will run 4 days a week, cross train two, rest a day and try to ski with my kids as often as possible. I will find an event eventually...... Probably the first resolution I will keep! It will be a great 2011.

No comments:

Post a Comment