Monday, July 11, 2011

Running injuries over use, under use or lack of fitness?

 Most of what I write on this blog is a reflection experienced while running. Recently I have been reflecting on the litany of injuries I've labored through during my relatively short career as a runner. I am just getting back into my shoes after battling my most recent injury, a tweaked hip flexor and I am reflecting. While perusing my previous posts I realized that on again off again injuries have provided a good deal of fodder for Training @10990. Not to mention countless articles in running specific periodicals on how to diagnose and overcome such obstacles.
 These injuries are commonly referred to as over use injuries. In an effort to be as positive as possible I refer to them as under use injuries or a lack of fitness injuries. Having come to running as an overweight out of shape non runner I consider these injuries stepping stones to better fitness. An education on how to better train and recover so that I can keep running. Reminding my brain that the body is not quite ready. Helping develop a little patience and an aptitude for hard work and dedication required for training and recovery when you have a job and a family that also demand your time.
 After struggling with the wheezes and grunts of my first few runs I have limped through shin splints, battled a nagging runners knee, foam rolled through an agitated IT band, hobbled through a stress fracture and stretched a tweaked hip flexor. These injuries accrue as you become more fit and confident waking muscles, joints and tendons that have seen little or no focused attention for years.They are all painful enough to side line you, persistent enough to make the road back to focused training arduous. Often discouraging, stifling success achieved over previous weeks or months effort.
 Although discouraging, annoying and often painful they usually develop slowly. A faint voice suggesting hold off, slow down, relax. Becoming a full fledged injury when you choose to ignore the warning signs but who does? Who can? I have yet to be smart enough to acknowledge the voice early but I do appreciate the patience, strength and flexibility I have developed when I finally listen. The ability to learn from the experience, change and reorganize my plan to achieve my goal. Sure I was forced to slow down but I always returned stronger and smarter.
 I know now that all the training I have done will be wasted if I don't allow my body to recover properly. Other than the odd race goal my ultimate goal is to maintain my health and fitness as I age. The only acceptable wheezing and grunting on a run is a day set aside for hill repeats. Now that I am getting back to running I am trying to develop a plan that will help me reduce injury. Still not so sure I will listen to the little voice in the future but I'll consider it.

No comments:

Post a Comment