Sunday, May 22, 2011

The Little Peak

 0700 trail run Saturday
 I turned off the beaten path to explore a little peak I had been eyeing over the last few months. I have run the same quad trails, gas line and horse trails for about a year and some how always found something new but recently the little peak looming off in the distance was calling. I had half heartily searched trail off shoots, and deer trails trying to get closer to the little peak only to find myself in someones back yard or at a pond with the little peak still too far off in the distance.
 This morning as I stopped at the edge of an expansive hay field to take in the view the little peak seemed closer than it had ever been. I thought for sure I had run through this field before, but now I wondered, had I? Instead of skirting the field and heading back into the woods I headed out across the sea of emerald green toward the little peak. Deer scattered in all directions, the morning doo soaking me to the waist as I bound through the hay.
 At the edge of the field was a beautifully constructed stone wall, out of place in the middle of no where I thought and the little peak. I found an opening in the wall and stepped into the woods on the other side. It was like enterning Narnia, cool and peaceful with the biggest trees I had seen in the area. A trail headed off into the woods away from the field, I actually looked back and wondered if I should be doing this.
 I did say this was a little peak and in less than 10 minuets I burst back into the sunshine at it's top, it was the most beautiful view of the valley I had ever seen. Rejuvenated I turned towards home reluctant to look back, afraid that the little peak may not be there next Saturdays.

No comments:

Post a Comment