Thursday, July 7, 2016

SCAR~DNF



  • I did NOT finish my SCAR (Smokies Challenge Adventure Run) attempt in May.
  • I am NOT happy about it.
  • I WILL make another attempt and finish.
  • I have avoided writing about it but have continued to think about it so here are some take away's.
Failures:
1) Poor Planning
Traditionally I am up and out early but for this attempt I chose to start in the evening. My theory was that it would be more convenient for my wife who had been tasked to get me to the start and from the finish of my escapade. The late start was foolish. I started at the southern boundary of the park at 1900 after a full day of activity, which included vehicle shuttling and travel. I am typically in bed at 2100 so seven hours into this adventure I was already stumbling along the AT in the dark like a zombie chasing the bobbing light of my head lamp down the trail.
2) Check Your Gear
The first section of  trail climbs 4.5 miles in 1700', up steep switchbacks to Birch Spring Gap. I felt fresh and was moving along pretty well. However, the 3rd pull from the tube of my hydration pack reveled a big problem, "it was empty". I had filled it with Tailwind before leaving the house and throwing my pack into the back of the car for the drive to the trail head. The 70oz bladder had emptied itself in the car before I had taken my first step. I had two additional 24oz water bottles with me and according to the millage card I had put together, had multiple locations to obtain water along the way. I would be ok.
3) Where is the water
I traveled nearly 20 miles before finally securing water. Which would not have been a big deal if my bladder had not bled its contents all over the back of my wife's car. I did not locate water in the couple locations referenced having it and others (Shelters) where full of sleeping hikers and I did not feel it was appropriate to be rooting around their campsites in the dark in search of water although in hindsight I probably should have. When I did finally find water I sat in the dark getting my fill for an eternity.
4) Bugs
Yay Bugs! At one point during my preparation I had considered taking bug repellent but for some reason never did more than that. I may have come to the conclusion that bugs would not be an issue in May or it simply slipped my mind as I considered other logistics. Either way I dealt with bugs and it was a nuisance until it finally cooled down enough for them disappear. Admittedly this was not a Maine black fly kind of nuisance but enough to make me wish I had repellent. In reality I was just feeling sorry for my self, thirsty and tired.

Successes:
1) Resupply vehicle
 My wife had recommended shuttling a vehicle to Newfound Gap (the only road crossing of the AT in the park) prior to my departure so I would have access to resupply or in the event I bailed I could get home without any trouble. This was the best decision of the entire trip as you all know I bailed and was able to sleep in the car for awhile before heading home with my tail between my legs and without having to interrupt the families day. *Thank you to my wife  (Shelle) who over the years has supported countles of my adventures from Colorado to Alaska and along the AT from Georga To Maine.
2) 40+ miles covered
I covered 40 miles and despite the water issue and the start time did pretty damn well really.

No comments:

Post a Comment