Wednesday, January 25, 2017

The daily run


We have moved. Not the kind of planned move full of giddy anticipation, excitement and wonder of the next chapter in our lives, but a forced, lost my job and gotta get out of dodge move. This type of move doesn't allow for a pity party or even to be very angry. It requires one quick decision after another. The down and dirty, make it up as you go, whirlwind kind decisions that call for you to move  and move quickly.
Wrought with uncertainty, forced to quickly bend your mind around one small goal after another so progress continues. There are a lot of moving parts; packing, finding boxes, truck rental, truck loading, address changes, finding more boxes, tying up loose ends, celebrating Christmas on the fly, new school registration, truck loading, house cleaning and finding more F*ing boxes.
The process volleyed between stressful, exhausting and nerve wracking in the morning. Then spells of productivity, reflection and more stress in the afternoon. Tears were shed, arguments had, hugs given and goodbyes said. Then finally, driving away from it all.
It is a sad time but a low-grade crisis in the grand scheme of things. If you are capable of rearranging things in your mind and separate the negative, the experience is full of opportunity. I was reminded of a sign on the wall at Newbury Comics in Boston that I always thought funny "All dates can change, so can you." So we have, we had to.
My daily run helped me see the opportunity in the change. It allowed me to close the book on what had been. Running each familiar route one last time encouraged me to be as positive as I could despite the circumstances. Not all at once but slowly, as the miles ticked off. It allowed me to work through the emotions of the situation and to be present so I could get the job done.

Now as we adjust to our new surroundings my daily run continues to provide solace. I have explored new territory. Discovered new trails and established new routes. It has allowed time for me to realign priorities and goals and strive to move forward. To participate with my families adjustment when they need me. I am not going to lie, this move has been a challenge. In fact it has sucked! But, a challenge made just a little easier with a daily run.












No comments:

Post a Comment