Monday, February 27, 2017

Post Ride Coffee Shop... Reflections

I have wasted a tremendous amount of time maybe years focused on what I can NOT control. Wrapped up in myself, missing out, wishing things were different, even angry at the world. It is staggering how quickly my thoughts raced from one topic to another, how much time I wasted trying to sort out what I had no control over. Today, I work diligently to stay in the present. I still have skirmishes with my wondering mind but have learned to say "hey dumb ass, over here, we are dealing with this right now."

In the book "10% Happier" Dan Harris shares his battle with the negative voice in his head and his focus on what he can NOT control and how it effected his life and career as it played out on national TV. Eventually, his narrative goes into great detail about embracing the practice of meditation to control that voice. His book reiterates what I have realized, that being happier is up to you.

I have yet to adopt the practice of daily meditation but have become increasingly fond of post ride coffee shop reflections. Instead of trying so hard to keep up I focus on slowing down, resisting the urge to go, go, go or have everything figured out. Of course, you don't have to do this in a coffee shop.  The idea is to SLOW DOWN and take a minute for yourself even if just over a cup of coffee at home or a bowl of granola on the porch, as in the old Granola Cereal commercial.

I know what you are thinking, "I don't have time for that". We make time for a lot of things being in the moment is typically not one of them. I do believe you will be better off if you choose to make time for some reflection. In my opinion there is no better place to be in the moment than on the seat of a bicycle, the longer the ride the better.  Afterword, stop into your favorite coffee shop for some reflection. Focus on less rush, order "for here" maybe in a mug instead of a to-go cup, then take a few minutes to enjoy the moment. Let yourself relax, watch people, listen, read something, just enjoy being stationary if only temporarily. Reflect on your ride, your day, think positively-how lucky you are to be where you are right at the moment. It certainly isn't going to hurt.

No, I don't spend my days in coffee shops or riding my bike, although it would be nice. I do try to acknowledge how fortunate I am and try to relax a little bit. I try to appreciate the day, the sunrise while on a morning run, a long ride, some time in a coffee shop or a book store, getting my daughters off to school. I still miss stuff and worry more than I should but like Dan Harris I am at least "10% Happier", maybe a little more more.

Be the psychopath


No comments:

Post a Comment