Sunday, October 10, 2010

Owl's do say who, who.....

 I set my running clothes out before bed, water bottles filled, gels packed, heart rate monitor and shoes ready. Twenty miles planned, my last long run before race day (21 days away). I wanted to be out the door at 0430. I was feeling some pre run excitement and anticipated having trouble sleeping. The kids in bed at 1930 I read, lights out at 2030, I was tired.

 Without fail I woke every hour on the hour as if I had to check to see if my clock was still working. I am not sure if there is anything more aggravating than wanting to sleep and being unable to. When 0330 rolled around I felt like I had been laying in bed awake for hours. I had to get up and run but I just could not pry myself out of bed. I felt as though I was glued to the mattress. I drifted back to sleep but something in the back of my mind shook me I had to get up I battled with myself for awhile, finally rolling out of bed an hour later than planned.

 I dressed quickly, ate a bowl of oat meal, enjoyed some hot team and warmed up my hip flexors. Ready, I opened the door and walked into a wall of cold air, it was freezing the thermometer read 35F. A quick change of clothes was required. Redressing was going to be a hassle, I had to root around quietly and quickly for some warmer clothes. I should have stayed in bed.

 Not finding exactly what I needed  I hit the road it was 0530. In less than 1/2 a mile I realized I was undressed for this mornings run. My glove less hands were almost numb. Just holding a water bottle was a challenge. My ears were covered the hat I found, my knees cold. Running in this temperature has never deterred me but when you are not dressed properly it sucks.

 I pressed forward annoyed about the cold, discouraged that I had not been better prepared for the drop in temperature. I tucked my hands into the sleeves of my shirt rubbing my fingers vigorously trying desperately to warm them, my water bottle tucked up under my arm. The majority of my marathon training has been enjoyable 1 mile into a 20 miler I was miserable!

 A sound off in the distance snapped me out of my pity party. What was that? I kept moving alert now would I hear it again. Again....what is that, was it an owl? I continued forward hoping I would hear it again.

There it is a faint who-who....who it is an owl.
I don't remember if I have actually heard an owl....who.
Again.. who-who...who I was getting closer to the source.
Im guessing the bird had flown off when all of a sudden!
WHO-WHO.....WHO-WHO

 I nearly jumped out of my skin the proximity of the sound stopped me in my tracks I looked up. The owl's eyes glowed in the beam of my head lamp, it was perched on a limb right over the middle of street. I smiled and laughed wondering if he had been watching my light bob as I made my way towards him out of the darkness?

 I said good morning and we looked at each other for a bit. I was still quite cold but found some warmth that would hold me over until the sun came up.....I can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment