Sunday, October 17, 2010

Taper vs. Motivation

 I have entered the tail end of my marathon training known as the taper. All plans call for it, you'll hear about it and see references to it in magazines, all big name runners taper before a big race. The idea of the taper is to reduce your weekly mileage two weeks prior to race day so your body can recover and rest from weeks of focused training. The taper is designed to prepare you for the big day. However, the taper has left me a bit lost, as if something is missing from my week: 12+ miles to be exact. My training has been challenging; long miles, speed work outs, weight training and cross training. A great deal has gone into getting marathon ready but this tapering has thrown me a curve ball.

 It seemed to affect this weekends motivation. Friday night I arrived home from work, it was raining, we had dinner and I was able to get into bed early. I slept soundly but when I woke at 0530 rain still pounding on the roof I just turned over and went back to sleep, I had not done that in months. When I finally pulled myself out of bed it was 0630 and still raining I just did not want to get up, I did not want to get wet, I was tired. I dressed to run but snuck back into the bedroom planning to climb back under the covers only to find my wife had taken over my side of the bed as if to say "get moving!"

 This morning as if I had never gotten up early in my life I slept until 0700 and although I was surprised when I looked at the clock I wanted to stay in bed. What is happening? Now I know I will never be a great runner, probably never win my age group let alone a race but for the last couple months I have gotten out of bed more often than not before my alarm sounded and was running before the sun touched the horizon. I have reached my goal weight and know I will finish on October 31st but, this weekend was a bit discouraging. Next week will be a test, I certainly do not want to tarnish my effort over the last few months just to fill a void of a couple miles. Maybe this tapering is a good thing? Nothing wrong with sleeping in now and then is there?

No comments:

Post a Comment