Sunday, October 3, 2010

In the woods along the Hutch

 It was 40F at 0530 this morning when I pulled out of the drive way towards to New Rochelle, New York. I was headed to New Rochelle for the Paine to Pain 1/2 Marathon trail run of all things. I knew nothing of the area or the course but it intrigued me to see how the organizer would get a 1/2 marathon trail run linked together in such an urban area. I also hoped to PR and if I could do that on a hilly, rocky, off road, 1/2 marathon course then I had been training well for the Marine Corps Marathon October 31st.
 The race started at the historic Thomas Paine Cottage, a national landmark that sits on the 140 acre farm (now neighborhood), given to him by the State of New York for his activism in the Revolution. Yes the Thomas Paine of "Common Sense" fame. I learned he actually spent little time in New Rochelle because he preferred the hustle and bussel of city life, he may think differently today.
 The race starts with a 1/2 mile up hill which was once Paine's farm land and soon leaves the pavement onto a wet, rocky, uphill single track thinning the pack quickly. From here the race skirts neighborhoods of Mamaroneck, Scarsdale and other Westchester County towns, parks along the Hutchinson River Parkway finishing on the track of New Rochelle High School.
 Other than a dozen or so road crossings the course is every bit an off road trail: with rocky climbs, slippery descents, stream crossings, tight single track and wide open double track where you can fly.
Running in the woods was a pleasant change from all the road running I've been doing. It was liberating, as though I was in the middle of no where. I truly enjoyed myself and at 6 minutes faster than my first 1/2 marathon, satisfied. This is one race I will put on the calendar to do again next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment