Thursday, September 30, 2010

5 in the rain

 I woke to the sound of what seemed to be gail force wind hammering rain sideways into the house at 0500. My alarm had not gone off, I did not want to run. I adjusted my clock and went back to sleep hoping the torrent of wind and rain would die down before my next wake up call.
 There was no change in the weather when my alarm sounded a hour later, I could not believe I had gone back to sleep. Unfortunately, it was raining even harder. I had to run, I would have to run on race day so I had to get up and run today. I was not looking forward to being wet and cold but I had to run.
 It was surprisingly warm 63F, I had that going for me. I warmed up on the porch avoiding the inevitable I did not want to step out through the vail of water cascading off of the roof. It was enough to feel what water the wind was blowing onto the porch UGH!
 This could no longer be avoided. I told myself "the sooner I get going the sooner I can get into a hot shower". The storm had not subsided while I procrastinated. In fact it continued to build as if daring me to run. I left the porch and was instantly soaked to the bone. I set my watch put my head down and ran. Suddenly it dawned on me I was zig zagging down the street making every effort to avoid puddles, my socks already sloshing in my shoes. I laughed at myself, I am sure I looked like Gene Kelley, Singing in the Rain. My next step sent water over the top of my shoe but I was now running with more purpose. Straight through the puddles and into the wind. I could feel my hands and feet pruning with every step, I was glad that I had stepped off the porch.

No comments:

Post a Comment