Tuesday, September 28, 2010

A Quick Run?

 I have heard people say "I am going on a quick run." I never really payed much attention to what that meant. I certainly had not experienced a "quick run" myself. When I started running 2 years ago the idea of a quick run seemed impossible. I would go out every other day or so and walk a little, run a little, walk, walk, walk then run a little more only to discover it took me longer than the day before to cover the same 3 miles, a distance I thought for sure was a good place to start.
 Progress was slow, my first goal was to run the entire 3 miles which I eventually did but far from quickly. Then I set my sights even higher, a 5k race. If anything could get me to cover this distance faster than I ever had it was a race. I did run faster than I ever had: 43 minutes-no quick run either.
 So when can a runner honestly say "I am going on a quick run"? For me it was today, two years later, a half dozen 5k and 10k races, a 1/2 marathon and 12 weeks into training for my first marathon under my belt. I didn't say to anyone when I was leaving the house that I was going on a quick run. It just kinda happened it was an experience.
  I felt strong when I headed out, running a little faster than normal in the first mile, my pace was better than normal into the 4th mile and I felt strong at the finish. It was not until I finished that I said to myself "that was a quick run", what a great feeling. I realize now that a "quick run" is not about time or distance. It is about a feeling a feeling you get when your firing on all cylinders and you finish feeling like you just crossed the finish line in first place.
 I guess people say "I am going on a quick run" in anticipation of the run they are about to do will be as good or better than the last. I wish you all a "quick run"!

No comments:

Post a Comment