Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Countless Combinations

 Unlike my previous early morning run I checked the forecast before bed. It read: clear, some low lying clouds, cooling over night, temperatures in the low 40's, possible frost in some areas. This translated into: it wont be warm when I get up at 0430, there will be fog and most likely frost in my stomping ground. My last pre dawn run was less than comfortable and despite my efforts to keep moving I was more focused on the numbness in my fingers and getting warm than the task at hand. It was a challenging start to a 20 mile run.

 I would be better prepared tomorrow. I searched high and low for every running related item I owned: gloves, hats, head band, arm warmers, tights, compression shorts for under tights, shorts, long and short sleeve shirts, shirts with zippers, lite shirts, lite jackets and pants, thick socks. A large pile began to develop in the middle of the bed, my wife was thrilled until she learned I was not getting rid of any of it just trying to round it all up.

 After finding everything, which I am embarrassed to say took 20 minutes or more, I had to sort. The main pile was divide into sub piles based on combinations of clothes that would work best in specific temperatures.
* Pile 1- hot weather: shorts, lite socks, singlets and sleeveless shirts
* Pile 2 - warm weather: shorts, tee-shirts
* Pile 3 - cooler weather: shorts, arm warmers, vest, zip-tees, head band, light gloves
* Pile 4 - cold weather: tights, pants, jacket, vest, long sleeve shirts, warm socks, mittens, gators, face  warmer and anything else to keep one warm below 30F.
 After distribution was complete and order made of the pile on the bed, I put together a combination of piles 2, 3 & 4 that I thought would work with tomorrows forecast.

 When I opened the door at 0500 it was like walking into a freezer after warming up in the kitchen. The thermometer read 37F and frost glistened in the light of my head lamp. Low lying fog sat heavy in spots and steam rose from the creek, it was quiet and dark. The sky was exceptionally clear Orion shown bright  as I followed it South away from the warmth of the house. I must admit, I do prefer the cold, I just want to be dressed for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment