Sunday, October 24, 2010

Projected finish time???

 It has been some time between posts hasn't it?  I have found my thoughts far to erratic to write recently. What I have written in previous posts has been mulled over and over while training, either on the bike or my feet. When at the key board last week I felt I was trying to force even will something onto the screen. I just could not string anything together worth your time or mine for that matter.

 I have not stopped training: ran 23 miles, spent 1.5 hrs with trainer, biked 15 miles. A reduction of millage made me a little nervous but I was getting rest, feeling race ready and confident. However, last weekend all three of my girls were sick; achy, stuffy nose, cough, the works. I did everything I could to avoid being in the house but unfortunately Sunday evening I felt the chill creeping in. I could not get sick now! Out came every cold avoiding tactic known to man, wives tale and beyond. I woke on Monday feeling just under the weather and battled for a couple days to keep the nasty thing at bay. My training felt less than productive but I was not out.

 My mind has also been a wash with race travel planning and packing. These plans are layed and we are ready to head south to DC for my first marathon. What really threw me was every one's sudden interest in how well I would do. As race day count down entered single digits more and more people inquired about my finish expectation. I have considered my finish time all along and had settled on finishing. This is not acceptable as I discovered Friday.
One conversation sounded like this:
 Harold - "Less than 10 days Michael, what finish time are you shooting for?"
 Me - "This is my first marathon I would be happy just finishing"
 Harold - "Just finish? you have got to do better than that...4 hrs that is a 9 minute or so pace, you can  do that"
 Me - "Probably not 4"
 Harold - "4:30, 5:00, you can't just say finish 4:40, 4:45, what?"
 Me - "Well how about under 5hrs"
 Harold - "That is a start but you are cutting yourself short you have put a lot of effort into your  training you can do better than under 5 hrs"

 Harold was not the only one, Bruce, Kevin, Rob, Skip, Sara, Nicole and others all had an opinion about my vague finish time goal. I was unaware that so many knew I was running a marathon let alone being inside the double digit count down or interested in my projected finish time. I had not set a time because I did not want the added pressure. I did not want to have to worry that if my pace was less than what was required to reach a goal time I would have to adjust. I did not run a 2 hr 1/2 marathon how could I run a 4 hr marathon so just finishing worked for me.

 Now I was wondering should I choose a time.......? Could I run a 4:30 marathon @10:30 pace? See why I haven't written.

No comments:

Post a Comment