Saturday, October 9, 2010

Putting it all together

 I never considered myself a runner until recently. I would go for a run now and again but never committed to it, raced, trained or had running related goals. When my Dad passed I ran not to get away but to have time to myself, I had lots of stuff going on in my head. I often saw things while I was running that I would have shared with Dad; birds, trees, clouds, I had thoughts about life that I would have talked over with him, Running had become comforting.

 It was not long after his death that I lost my job and found my self with more time on my hands than I had in the past. I was fortunate I never was depressed about loosing my job not to say it was not challenging and at times I did feel sorry for myself but I began to consider my situation an opportunity. Never did I have an idle day, I wrote and re-wrote my resume, sent out resumes, made phone calls, sent emails, searched for work, networked, did a considerable amount of work on the house and ran.

 This is not to say I was off and running. Unfortunately, over the years I had develop a lot to carry (close to 235lbs. of it) and my running was little more than a daily walk and trudge of just about a mile. I was not to be discouraged and eventually could plod through a 3 mile loop at a 13:30 pace on a good day. I was making progress feeling better about my ability, slowly loosing weight and able to admit I was in the worst shape ever. I had to keep running.

 My priorities: family, work (at the time finding work and house work) and me. I had to get into better shape for me and my family so I could actually work. My goal: get below 200lbs by 40 less than a year away. I organized my time to optimize my running so not to affect family and work. I began reading running magazines and web sites and mulling over training plans in an effort make my running time as efficient as possible. I drove around in the Camery mapping out and linking potential loops to run 3,5,7,9 and11 miles. At the time I did not even know I would ever run 7 miles let alone train for a marathon but I mapped out the routes any way. I also considered races that I could run to set up as mile stones along my way to 199lbs.

 In August of that year 5 months out of work I was finally employed,  I had gotten a job in the fitness industry. Not only was I employed I was now surrounded by like minded people all committed to being healthy and fit for a better future: how lucky! In September I ran a 5K, in November I ran a Thanksgiving Day 5K, over the winter I trained for an April 1/2 marathon. Running through the winter was less than ideal but my trudge and plod turned into a run and I was making progress. I felt pretty good about my efforts, I had been running all winter after all.

 I finished my first 1/2 marathon but not with out fighting through it and acquiring an injury. It took me weeks to recover. I visited the doctor, researched running related injuries, returned to studying training plans and asked a lot of questions of other runners and the personal trainers at work. I was still committed to my original goal of getting below 200lbs in fact I had run off over 15lbs but something was missing. It was mid May and I had yet to resume running I was starting to get nervous, I had registered for the 2010 Marine Corps Marathon.

 I developed a plan that alternated running, rest, cross training, weight training and improved diet. I focused on fitting all of this in to avoid effecting family and work. The plan had to be good enough to develop the mileage required for marathon training and recovery yet flexible enough if life altered any aspect of the schedule. The biggest challenge was being focused enough to execute the plan. I spent a great deal of time discussing this with Mark Deeken one of the trainers at work and he became extremely interested in helping me reach my goals.

 The plan was set up with 4 days of running Sunday being the day for my long run. Two rest days or days for cross training, mainly biking (15-30miles) and a focused core, strength and endurance work out with Mark. My first work outs with Mark humbled me again, with all the running I had been doing I was still out of shape. I stuck with it and fought through work outs I was sure would have me die on the gym floor. Getting below 200lbs had been a lot tougher than I expected and I still had a way to go, it was June and I hadn't really put the running portion of my plan in place for the marathon, was I going to make it?

 I executed the plan through July, August, September. Ran through the sweltering summer heat, in the rain, the dark. Rested after those long runs, road my bike on other days. I was finally able to make it through an entire work out with Mark with out feeling like I was going to pass out or vomit. My wife noticed that my once quite visible mid section had diminished, my pants falling off and on the Friday before running a 1/2 marathon tune up race I weighed in @ 198.3 lbs. I had done it and still had 3 weeks before my first Marathon.

 Unfortunately with all the training and 3 weeks remaining I still was not 100% sure I could finish a 26.2 mile run. In that 1/2 marathon tune up race, less than 200lbs I felt fit, lite, strong and even prepared. The weather was perfect cool, clear, about 400 racers at the line and I finished 6 minutes faster than the agonizing April 1/2 marathon that had side lined me for weeks.... I am ready for 26.2!

1 comment:

  1. I see a lot of your thoughts, passions, dreams, and determination marks of your dad; he would be proud.

    ReplyDelete